By Larry Forte
Happy New Year! As I sit down to write this column, I can’t believe how fast 2017 went by. It feels like just a few days ago that I wrote my initial Last Cast as President a year ago. What a great year we had as a club and it was exciting to be part of our 50 th Birthday celebration.
For 2018, I am just as excited and looking forward to another great year for PVFF. So for my Last Cast, I thought I would put together a few PVFF New Year’s resolutions as many of us do at this time of year (you can call them resolutions or goals!!)
Here they are:
- More club fishing outings: For me, a big part of what makes this club so enjoyable is the ability to get out on a stream or lake with fellow members to do a little fishing. I would like to see more outings this year. Even if we do more “spur of the moment” type outings.
- Find someone to be Programs Chairman: We have great programs for the first half of 2018. However, it’s important for the club to fill this position soon to make sure we have great programs in the fall. I can’t continue to look for speakers with my schedule.
- Another Project Healing Waters Event: Last June, we had a great time hosting 13 Warriors for the day at Otter Camp. Hosting another PHW’s event is a big Resolution for me this year.
- Expanded Website and Facebook presence: Since last September, our new website helped attract several new members, which is important for our club. I hope we can expand our website and increase our Facebook presence in 2018.
- Continue to Offer Great Fly Tying Classes: At our last beginner’s class, we had 16 attendees. That is awesome! I would like for our fly tying classes to continue to be a popular and growing activity for our members.
- More conservation activities: I am looking forward to having Dave Keane as Conservation Chairman for the club and am excited that Conservation will play a bigger role in 2018 for the club.
- More Youth Activities: Whether it’s helping a local Boy Scout troop learn to fly fish or helping the City with a fishing event, I would like the club to be more involved with helping introduce and teach kids the joy of our sport.
- Finally, to fish more: Life gets busy with family, work and club demands on your time. I need to get out on the water more in 2018!
Did I miss any resolutions? Would you like to help me with my resolutions? Just let me know. You will not regret helping out the club and getting involved!
In closing, if there is anything you would like to see improved with our club or if you are interested in getting more involved with the PVFF, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Happy New Year and see you at our next meeting!